Saturday, January 8, 2011

Classroom Wiki

I mentioned in my last post that I had created a wiki. Since the settings are private for the security of my students, here is a Jing (woohoo!) screenshot of my welcome page:


I have just begun creating a writing assignment for my students on the wiki. They will be working with their group to write a collaborative story. Here is another Jing screenshot of the “Writing Page”. I have links to each group’s page where they will be doing their writing & editing.



Wikis can be used in many ways & here is a link to a list of tons of different educational wikis that teachers are already using.  Some educational uses are:
  • Teachers collaborating on & sharing lesson plans
  • Teachers adding & sharing tips, websites, favorite tech tools, etc.
  • Sharing school/class information with parents & the community
  • Students taking class notes
  • Students collaborating on writing assignments (co-writing, peer editing, etc.)
  • Students working together to solve math problems & share their thinking
  • Students working together to create solutions to community issues
  • Telecollaboration! Students work with students from other communities on any of the above student projects or others
  • Students working together to…. (possibilities are endless)!

1 comment:

  1. I think the idea of students posting on a wiki-calendar what we did each day in each class. This way I'd never have to hear, "I was absent yesterday, did I miss anything?" again. Ever ever again...

    ReplyDelete